The Pont Valentré Size report
The Pont Valentré, also known as the "Devil's Bridge," is located west of Cahors, south of France-Pyrénées. It is a symbol and landmark of Cahors. This magnificent and sturdy bridge was built in the 14th century, spanning the Lot River with the three iconic towers. It is one of the best preserved medieval bridges in France.
It is one of the best preserved medieval bridges in France. The Pont Valentré is an outstanding example of a medieval bridge; this stone bridge was listed as a National Historic Monument in 1998 and one of the most outstanding bridges in southern France in 2012.
Cahors is a lovely medieval village and capital of the Lot department in southwest France; and is also one of the oldest wine-producing areas of France, and lush vineyards dot the area. It is great to visit this area from April to October; the ancient 14th-century bridge will bring you back to history. You will find out more interesting details about its size and structure here.
Size and Features of The Pont Valentré
The Pont Valentré is one of France's most beautiful fortified Medieval bridges today. This stunningly beautiful stone arch bridge took nearly 70 years to complete and never suffered wars, leading to folklore that the devil helped build the bridge. Construction of the bridge began on June 17, 1308, to facilitate operations during the Hundred Years' War between England and France. The bridge came into use in 1350 and was completed in 1378. In 1867 and 1879, the bridge underwent extensive restoration, which greatly changed its original appearance.. During restoration in the 1870s, the architect Paul Gout had the carving of an imp added to confuse the devil.
Dimensions of the Pont Valentré
The Valentré bridge is 138 meters long and supported by 6 Gothic arches and 3 square towers. The three towers are about 40 meters in height, making the bridge more elegant and beautiful. The 5 meters wide bridge deck allows visitors to cross the bridge on foot today. Two slightly inclined slopes form the surface of the bridge.
|Length||138 m (453 ft)|
|Width||5 m (16 ft)|
|Tower Height||40 m (130 ft)|
|Number of Spans||6|
|Span Lengths||6 × 16.5 m (54 ft)|
The Valentré Bridge (Pont Valentré) is the best-known landmark in the city of Cahors. Work commenced on the bridge over the River Lot in 1308, and the famous bridge towers were built fortress-style so the locals could attack invaders from above. Three sumptuous square towers complete with machicolations stand at both ends and in the center of the bridge and control the access to the city from the west side. Wonderful Gothic architecture and a titanic building, which stayed ahead of its time, make the Valentré Bridge an exceptional monument today.