Lucerne, Switzerland, is famous for its three wooden bridges; the Chapel Bridge (German: Kapellbrücke) is the oldest. This bridge was built in 1333 and is also the oldest wooden bridge with a roof in Europe. Today the wooden bridge and the octagonal water tower are the most popular tourist attractions in Lucerne, which were originally part of the city's water fortifications; it is both a hydraulic project and military fortress.
The sloping roof of the bridge is covered with yellow tiles. There are 120 religious and historical oil paintings on the horizontal lintel of the roof. Most of the paintings are with the theme of heroes in the history of Lucerne. In August 1993, the Chapel Bridge was hit by a fire. Fortunately, the damaged bridge parts and paintings have been repaired completely.
The St. Peter's Church on the north bank of the bridge; church, blue lake, swans, and distant mountains form a layered scenery. The bridge is like an oblique ruler spanning the River Reuss. Countless tourists come to Lucerne to witness this ancient wooden bridge each year. The following post will reveal more interesting facts about this old bridge.
Description of The Chapel Bridge Size
This covered wooden bridge over the River Reuss was built in 1300. The Chapel Bridge has two turning points, with an octagonal water tower next to the center of the bridge, which was originally part of the city wall and was used as an archive, vault, prison, and torture chamber during the war. Today, the middle level of the water tower houses the headquarters of the Lucerne Artillery Association. 120 old paintings on the lintel of the bridge describe the history of Lucerne and Swissland, and there is a German poem under each picture. Every early summer, the outside of the wooden bridge is full of blooming Geraniums in bright colors; from a distance, it looks like a beautiful ribbon.
Dimensions of the Chapel Bridge
The Chapel Bridge is 204.7 meters (672 feet) long and spans the Reuss River near the exit of Lake Lucerne. It has a total of 28 piers in the water that support the structure, including 20 wooden piers and 8 stone piers. The water tower is 39 meters in circumference and 34.5 meters in height.
|204.7 m (672 ft)
|Number of Spans
|Water Tower circumference
|Water Tower Height
This wooden pedestrian bridge, which has been around for nearly seven centuries, has been regarded as a symbol of Lucerne. It is also a link between the Old town and the New town. Most of the Chapel Bridge was restored after a fire but remains largely faithful to its original appearance. The undefeated flowers on the handrail of the covered bridge add a romantic atmosphere to the bridge. Strolling here at night, you can still appreciate the medieval romantic feeling of Lucerne.