Spirit Carry-on Size report
Unsurprisingly, Spirit Airlines was rated by Travel + Leisure magazine as the worst airline with the worst customer service in the world. Although the ticket price is extremely low, various additional charges, small seating space, and frequent flight delays have made Spirit Airlines a lousy reputation. Spirit Airline has a little-known frequent flyer program that is full of highlights: Free Spirit.
Spirit Airlines is a famous low-cost airline in the United States. Fares can sometimes be very low, especially for flights to or from Chicago. But because it is a low-cost airline, carry-on baggage and checked baggage are charged.
The Spirit carry-on baggage allowance is limited and strict. The earlier you pay for baggage fee, the cheaper it is. It is the most affordable to pay during booking and the most expensive at the boarding gate. Don't think you can get through the trap and take your personal belongings on board for free. It is essential to check the Spirit Airlines baggage policies ahead of time. That is the best way to save money and spend a happy flight.
Spirit Carry-on Guide
Low-cost airlines charge strict baggage fees, which is unavoidable unless you take nothing but a wallet or camera bag when you fly. The baggage rules are mandatory, and the initial cheap baggage offer will increase rapidly upon boarding. Before booking a non-refundable reservation with an airline, you need to know about Spirit Airlines' baggage allowance, restrictions, and fees.
Flying with Spirit Airline, if you have luggage, there is no avoidance of luggage fees. The carry-on arrangement will cost more than checked luggage. Anything larger, such as a standard carry-on bag or checked bag, will need to be paid for.
- One personal item is free with the bare fare, the size should not larger than 40 linear inches (18 x 14 x 8 in) or 102 centimeters (46 x 36 x 20 cm), fit under the seat in front of you.
- Standard Spirit carry-on bag should not exceed 50 linear inches (22 x 18 x 10 in) or 127 centimeters (56 x 46 x 25 cm), including handles and wheels. It must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Standard carry-on suitcase must measure no greater than the size limit, or it must be checked instead.
- Additional items: a jacket, umbrella, diaper bag, duty-free items, and assistive devices like wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, strollers, child restraint seats, etc., do not count towards your carry-on allowance.
Carry-on fees depend on the route and when you purchase your bags, and Spirit advises passengers to use its baggage calculator on the official website. After running a few searches, we found the consistent fees below but check your specific route. The Spirit carry-on baggage fees tend to increase as your departure gets closer.
- During booking:
Spirit Saver$ Club — $26 to $31
Standard — $35 to $40
- Before and during online check-in:
Spirit Saver$ Club — $36 to $41
Standard — $45 to $50
- Airport reservation desk: $52 to $70
- At gate: $65 to $75
Tips For Saving Carry-on fees
- For a short trip, if you can strategically pack your stuff into a free personal item, then that saves the cost on a carry-on bag.
- For longer trips, it may not be practical to fit all your belongings into one bag. With Spirit Airline, you should pay for your luggage ahead of time to maximize savings.
Spirit Checked Baggage Policies
Spirit Airlines passengers do not have any free checked baggage allowance. It is why the airline can keep their ticket prices low for everyone. Every flyer can pre-purchase up to 4 checked bags. Each checked baggage must not weigh more than 40kg or measure more than 62 linear inches (157 centimeters) in height + width + length.
Standard checked baggage size and weight limits
- 2 bags standard, up to 5 bags maximum.
- The maximum dimensions are 62 inches or 157 centimeters in length + width + height. All the measurements include wheels and handles.
- The maximum weight is 40 pounds or 18 kilograms.
Checked Baggage Fees
The length of the route determines checked luggage fees and when they are added to your itinerary, and other factors. You should review the website or call customer service to know your specific checked baggage fees. Please see the table below for more information on check baggage prices:
|Baggage Type||During Booking (Standard Fare)||During Booking ($9 Fare Club)||Before Online Check-In (Standard Fare)||Before Online Check-In ($9 Fare Club)|
|1st Checked Bag||$26||$35||$36||$45|
|2nd Checked Bag||$36||$45||$46||$55|
|3rd-5th Checked Bag||$81||$90||$91||$100|
|Baggage Type||During Online Check-In (Standard Fare)||During Online Check-In ($9 Fare Club)||Airport||Gate|
|1st Checked Bag||$36||$45||$50||$65|
|2nd Checked Bag||$46||$55||$60||N/A|
|3rd-5th Checked Bag||$91||$100||$100||N/A|
Overweight And Oversized Baggage
Spirit Airlines will charge the following for overweight bags that are greater than the standard 50 pounds or 23 kilograms:
- 41 to 50 pounds or 18 to 23 kilograms: $30.00 extra per bag.
- 51 to 70 pounds or 23 to 32 kilograms: $55.00 extra per bag.
- 71 to 100 pounds or 32 to 45 kilograms: $100.00 extra per bag.
Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage luggage.
- 63 to 80 linear inches or from 158 to 203 centimeters: $100 extra per bag.
- 80 to 160 linear inches or from 203 to 406 centimeters: $150 extra per bag.
Bags larger than 160 linear inches or 406 centimeters will not be accepted as checked baggage luggage.
|Excess Weight/Dimensions||Per Bag|
|18-23kg/ 41-50lbs||+ $35|
|23-32kg/ 51-70lbs||+ $55|
|32-45kg/ 71-100lbs||+ $100|
|158-203cm/ 63-80inches||+ $100|
|203-406cm/ 80-160inches||+ $150|
Customers need to be careful about how charges like baggage fees add up on budget airlines like Spirit. Spirit Airlines does not include any bags in its base allowance (Bare Fare), not even carry-ons. Your best bet is to buy your carry-on or checked luggage allowance during your booking. I hope you have an enjoyable flight with Spirit Airlines.