Lake Maggiore (Italian Lago Maggiore, Latin Lacus Verbanus) is located in northern Italy, and the lake's northern end is in Switzerland. Numerous celebrities, from intellectuals to government leaders, have spent their long vacations here.
The French poet Montesquieu described it as "the most beautiful place in the world." Adding to the charm of Lake Maggiore are the small islands nearby: the Palazzo Borromeo, built in the 17th century on the Isola Bella of the famous Beyomin Islands, the unique Isola dei Pescatori, and the botanical gardens rich in rare plants. The famous Isola Madre island is known as the home of the castle of Cannero.
For centuries, Lake Maggiore, surrounded by mountains and green hills, has been under the control of prominent Italian families such as the Borromeo and Visconti. They have built castles (such as the mysterious great fortresses at Angera and Arona) and garden-style villas here. Therefore, not only the beautiful scenery but also the historical and artistic wealth of Lake Maggiore makes it full of mystery.
Lake Maggiore Introduction
Lake Maggiore is the most popular attraction in southern Italy, close to the heart of Europe, with the Alps as a backdrop. Within a few kilometers, you can see gentle lakesides, lively towns, and countless palm trees; discover the charm of a green valley leading upwards to over 3000 meters of glaciers and magnificent Alpine scenery; dotted with villages hidden in a chestnut forest and an emerald-clear river. The Borromean Bay between Stresa and Pallanza is the center of the Lake Maggiore region excursions. Lake Maggiore is also connected to an excellent road network.
The lake is traversed from north to south by the Ticino River, and its other principal affluents are the Maggia from the north, the Toce from the west, and the short Tresa from Lake Lugano on the east. Off the western shore are the famous Borromean Islands, geologic continuations of the Pallanza Promontory. Lake Maggiore is bordered by the Swiss Alps to the north and by the Lombardian Plain and has a warm, mild climate.
Lake Maggiore Size
- Lake Maggiore is the second-largest lake in Italy, with a surface area of 212 square km (82 square miles), bisected by the border between Lombardy (east) and Piedmont (west).
- It is a long and narrow lake. At an elevation of 193 meters (633 feet) above sea level, the lake is 64 km(40 miles) long, with a maximum width of 11 km(7 miles) and a maximum depth of 372 meters (1,220 feet).
|Max. length||64 km (40 mi)|
|Max. width||11 km (7 mi)|
|Surface area||212 sq km (82 sq mi)|
|Max. depth||372 m (1,220 ft)|
|Water volume||37 cubic kilometers (8.9 cubic miles)|
Most of Lake Maggiore (80%) is located in Italy, while the remaining 20% is located in Switzerland. It has irregular shores and is surrounded by the Lugano, Lepontine, and Pennine Alps. The lake has many tributaries, of which the largest are the Ticino, Maggia, Toce, and the Tresa. The lake's main outflow is the Ticino, which makes its way into the Po River, South-East of Pavia. Since the catchment areas of Ticino and Toce are located at high altitudes, their peak flow periods are between May and October, corresponding with the melting snow. The other tributaries' flows are strongly influenced by precipitation.
Due to the mild and humid climate, the Mediterranean vegetation on the lakeside is lush and lush. The ideal time to visit the area is between April and October when the temperature is good enough to enjoy both the sun and the numerous botanical gardens that govern the precinct. Some of Lake Maggiore's most charming villas are known for their gardens, filled with rhododendrons, camellias, and hydrangea in various colors. One of the most important botanical gardens in the world, covering an area of 20 hectares with more than 20,000 species of plants.
Fishing is a popular sport in Lake Maggiore, mainly because of the large populations of whitefish, perch, pike, bleak, and trout that live in the waters. Bird-watching is also favored since the lake provides ideal nesting conditions for waterfowl, like swans, gulls, cormorants, and ducks.
Lake Maggiore is one of Italy's largest and most popular tourist destinations with its beautiful scenery and pleasant climate since the day of the Grand Tour. It is the ideal place for rich people, aristocrats, and artists seeking silence and beauty. Surrounded by villas and lush gardens from the 18th and 20th centuries, luxury resort hotels and towers have also been built along the shores of Lake Maggiore, ensuring Lake Maggiore's success as a favorite place for Italians and foreign tourists.