Frontier Airlines is a low-cost airline headquartered in Denver. The airline's flights are available to 65 global destinations in the United States, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Mexico. It should be noted that all its flights are economy class. However, passengers can upgrade to an optional seat located at the front of the plane or an extended seat with more legroom. Frontier Airlines' hub is located at Denver International Airport (DEN).
Frequent flyers know that one of the essential information is the carry-on baggage allowance when booking a ticket. Frontier is currently one of the few airlines that charge for standard carry-on baggage and every piece of checked baggage. When you pack your luggage, you need to remember that it does not automatically include free carry-on bags. According to Frontier's baggage policy, these baggage fees will increase as the boarding time approaches. Therefore, to save the most money, you should understand the specific baggage allowance, cost and purchase your required baggage allowance as early as possible.
If you are not sure how much to bring with you when you purchase your ticket, you must get the next cheapest fare within 24 hours before departure. It is essential to check the Frontier Airlines baggage policies ahead of time. It is the best way to save money and spend a happy flight.
Frontier Carry-On Luggage Guide
It’s never a good idea to show up at the ticket counter without packing your luggage correctly for a Frontier flight. The expensive extra baggage fee that comes on because your carry-on went way over the maximum weight or size limit isn’t worth it. And you should remember the Frontier baggage fees will be charged for each one-way trip. That is, you will pay double the round-trip fee. Following, we have introduced more detailed information about Frontier carry-on allowance and expenses.
Frontier Airlines is slightly strict with personal item size carriage. There’s a high possibility the airline will spot an overall check for your items to ensure your item are compliant with Frontier carry-on size limits and fit into the sizer device.
- One personal item is free. The size can not be larger than 18 in x 14 in x 8 in (46 cm x 36 cm x 20 cm) and, with no weight limit, fit under the seat in front of you.
- The standard Frontier carry-on bag should not exceed 24 in x 16 in x 10 in (61 cm x 41 cm x 25 cm), including handles and wheels, no heavier than 35 pounds (15.88 kg). It must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. A Standard carry-on suitcase must measure no greater than size and weight limit, or it must be checked instead, and you would have no choice but to pay more if it exceeds that.
- Additional items: a jacket, umbrella, diaper bag, duty-free items, and assistive devices like wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, strollers, child restraint seats, etc., do not count towards your carry-on allowance.
- You are also allowed to carry gels and liquids as personal items. However, the container in which you keep them has to be under 100 ml. The bag you take the liquid in must be transparent and fit in the personal item size limit rules.
Fees are route-dependent, and Frontier advises passengers to use the airline’s online bag price checker. You can find these consistent prices below, but do check for your specific route on the website. If you arrive at the Gate with a carry-on bag that exceeds the allowable dimensions, you will have an additional charge to gate-check the bag. The more you put it off, the higher the rate gets.
- At Booking: $37-$39
- Online (up to 24 hours before departure): $40-$42
- Call Center: $55
- Web Check-In: $43
- Airport Ticket Counter: $55
- At the Gate: $60
Frontier Checked Baggage Policies
Any baggage exceeding 62 linear inches will be required to pay an additional oversized baggage fee for checked baggage. The maximum weight must also not exceed 50 pounds. Checked baggage is not included in your fare. You may pay the fees for checked baggage at the time of booking. If you have already purchased your ticket, you may pay the costs on the ticket counter or when you check-in online within 24 hours of departure.
Standard Checked Baggage Size And Weight Limits
- Maximum dimensions for checked bag is 62 inches or 157 centimeters in length + width + height (16" x 10" x 24"), all the measurements include wheels and handles.
- The maximum weight is 50 pounds or 23 kilograms.
Checked Baggage Fees
The fees are determined by the type of fare you purchased, your destination, an active U.S. military personnel, your status with Frontier Airlines' frequent flyer program, and more factors. You can find the following information about the fees.
|Baggage Type||At booking||Before Check-In on Web/Mobile App||At Check-In on Web/Mobile App||At airport ticket counter or kiosk||Call center||At gate|
|First checked bag||$34||$39||$40||$55||$55||$60|
|Second checked bag||$45||$45||$45||$55||$55||N/A|
|Third checked bag||$85||$85||$90||$95||$95||N/A|
Overweight And Oversized Baggage
Frontier Airlines will charge the following for checked bags greater than the standard 50 pounds or 23 kilograms. It is generally better to pay the baggage fee earlier, considering the costs only get higher close to the departure date.
- 51 to 100 pounds or 24 to 46 kilograms: $75 extra per bag. Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage.
- 63 to 110 linear inches or 160 to 279 centimeters: $75 extra per bag. Bags greater than 110 linear inches or 279 centimeters will not be accepted as checked baggage.
It is a summary of the Frontier baggage fees charged on most domestic flights. Actual Frontier baggage fees may vary based on fare class, frequent flyer status, and specific flight routes. You should check its official website to calculate the exact cost you will pay before checking in.
|Baggage category||Fee||Max Weight||Max Size (L+W+H)|
|Gate checked carry-on||$60||35lbs||10"x16"x24"|
|First checked bag||$30-$50||50lbs/23kg||62"|
|Second checked bag||$45-$55||50lbs/23kg||62"|
|Third(+) checked bag||$85-$95||50lbs/23kg||62"|
|LugLess checked bag||$20-$45||50lbs/23kg|
|LugLess oversized bag||$28-$55||75lbs|
Frontier Airlines do have a reputation for being stricter than others. The carry-on size they charge is no joke, and if we count the fees for each lb added, you have to be careful before packing. Let’s take a look at the carry-on and checked luggage rules above. We hope you have a relaxed flight.